About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Friday 12 January 2018

An Excursion to Discworld ...

... well, Salisbury Museum, actually. And not a moment too soon, as the exhibition we wanted to see -  Terry Pratchett: His World - has only a few days left to run.

We had Ted with us, which meant we had to take it in turns to go in, while the other placated a dog who is used to long car jouneys ending in words beginning with b. That is, beach and ball, not bugger, they're doing something boring and cultural. 
Being the longer-standing Pratchett fan, the Northerner went in first while Ted and I wandered around the outside of the Cathedral. 


The stained glass seen through stained glass looked like scrunched up Quality Street wrappers.


As for Elisabeth Frink's purposeful Walking Madonna, whom I'd encountered before - well, exchange her wimple for a pointy hat and hatpins and she'd be Granny Weatherwax. 


Echoing Granny - I mean, the Walking Madonna - is a more recent arrival, Lynn Chadwick's Walking Woman. In the Discworld Multiverse, I think she must be Nightshade, Queen of the Elves.


Ted wasn't too impressed with all of this. He just wanted his flock back together. 

Alack, it was not to be. Not just yet. 


Much of the exhibition consisted of artwork by Paul Kidby, which was very fine. I liked it a lot more than I'd expected, especially his use of light. 

A shambles


Make Haste Slowly


Tiffany Aching




By and large, though, it was the telling detail that proved most touching.   








Cognitive tests taken in 2010


Motto: Don't fear the reaper







No comments:

Post a Comment