About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Friday 8 September 2017

I Can See Clearly Now

Having delivered a box of poetry festival brochures to Weston library, we went on to Uphill for our annual walk.

There seemed to be a particular clarity today. Everything looked so close that I wondered if it was going to rain.


Then I remembered I was wearing my new lensed sunglasses. 


The preacher kept right on saying all I had to do was send ten dollars to the Church of the Sacred Bleeding Heart of Jesus located somewhere in Los Angeles, California [said a voice in my ear] and next week they'd say my prayer on the radio and I'd be able to see!


Though, in fact, I couldn't see the oystercatchers I could hear, just black headed gulls in their winter garb and a few crows hanging about, wondering if there was a mythological role for them today. 

Gotta poem we can be in, missus?


They were in turn upstaged by a gang of young, excitable ravens surfing the stiff onshore breeze over the dunes, but I'm only allowed one poem a year with a raven in it and I've already had my quota for 2017. 

It looked a bit stormy over the Quantocks as we headed for the pub. I couldn't help thinking about other islanders a long way to the south and west who are a lot less secure than we are right now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment