About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Monday 5 June 2017

A Day in St Davids Part I: There's choughed I am

Last full day on holiday. Clearly, despite the downpour, we had to go to St Davids. 

By the time we arrived in the far west, the rain had lessened. We emptied our pockets and found just a little blue sky. Enough to be going on with.  


From a scene reminiscent of the Dartmoor borders ... 


... we proceeded over fields to Porthclais Harbour, which reminded me strongly of a mini Boscastle. At the same time as being very definitely, unmistakably Wales. 


We then turned left onto the coast path to skirt St Non's Bay - the most spectacular section of our walk. I had to keep stopping every few steps to take photos.  








Then I spotted a pair of black corvids sitting together on a rock below the path.


Luckily, we'd remembered the binoculars and could verify that they were choughs.

They're much easier to identify in the next photo.


😂😂 

(They really really are choughs, by the way.) 


Further on we came to the ruined Chapel of St Non, a local nun who, tradition holds, was raped by Sanctus (or Sant, or Sandde or Xantus), King (or Prince) of Ceredigion. This chapel marks the spot where she gave birth to her son, St David. 


This stone was found in the same field as the ruins, and is believed to be an altar or gravestone. It can be dated to the 7th to 9th centuries. 


There's a well too - a holy one, natch. 

As we climbed, the hilly terrain of Ynys Dewi (Ramsay Island) came into view ...


... and still the precipitous drops that were making me feel a bit whoozy. 


I don't know anything about this stone at the side of the path above Caerfai Bay except that I love it. 


We'd lingered a fair while and had to hurry back to St Davids to be on time to meet with friends for further explorations. More about that anon.




2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere St David is connected to poetry. If so, is that related to his life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the patron saint of poets. No idea whether he indulged himself, though.

      Delete