About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Monday 1 May 2017

The Scenic Route

On the half mile walk from the cottage to the Ness car park to fetch the car, I decided that it probably wasn't going to be a sitting-on-the-front sort of day.

Mid morning, it started to rain. 'Wanna go-a House a-Marbles,' my father announced. 


First, though, lunch in the lovely cafe at the Devon Guild of Craftsmen, also in Bovey Tracey ...


... and a chance encounter in the car park with my friend and fellow poet, Dominic Weston - he of the Shepton Mallet Snowdrop Festival. I had to take a photo to make sure I hadn't dreamt it. 


To be honest, House of Marbles isn't a dream destination for me - in fact, it's right up there with Yelverton's Paperweight Museum and the Lawnmower Museum at Trerice as places to avoid.
Though they did have some interesting stuff. 
We decided to take the scenic route back to the cottage. This is Haytor Rocks ... 


... Saddle Tor ... 


... Horridge Common ... 


... Bell Tor, Chinkwell Tor and Honeybag Tor ... 


... Easdon Tor, Hound Tor, Hayne Down and Grea Tor ... 


... and Top Tor. 

Oh well, at least I know the moor's still there ...


... and the proceedings did tire my charges out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment