About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Tuesday 2 May 2017

Putting the Fun in Funicular

Well, someone's got to try. 

First, though, a visit to St Mary's Church at Marychurch. 


I'd promised my father we'd do this, as his great-great grandfather, a boatman called James Harvey from Weston-Super-Mare, married a woman from St Marychurch while he was working his way around the south-west coast in the 1830s.  


I wasn't at all sure we'd manage it, however. So I'm glad we did. 


Not that we were ever going to find out much here, even if the Church had been open.   Some histories have much more weight than family ones. 


But at least we visited the spot. 


On, then, to Babbacombe Downs and the funicular railway down to Oddicombe Beach, where there's a recently refurbished cafe overlooking the sea. 


I know - genius, right? 




Made it!


After we'd eaten, I left the parents ensconced on the decking outside the cafe and had a brief wander. The beach is much sandier than it used to be. I remember pebbles and sea glass but there isn't much of that there at present.


As at Sidmouth, there's been a lot of cliff slippage over the last few years. Except a whole house has gone over the edge at Babbacombe, with more pending. Literally.

I didn't hang about. 











Back at the top there was a last chance to take in the views. 

Here are the remaining houses on Redcliffe Road. 


In the middle distance on the left, the Ness at Shaldon, with the Parson and the Clerk at Holcombe, Langstone Rock at Dawlish Warren and the red cliffs at Exmouth ... 


... and so on all the way round to Sidmouth, the white cliffs at Charmouth and Golden Cap, and on and on to Portland Bill, none of which you can see properly in this photo.

Oh well, you'll have to go yourself. 






No comments:

Post a Comment